House Democrats’ Tour Long on Spin, Short on Facts
February 25, 2013
Lansing, Mich., Feb. 25, 2013 – Today, Democrats from Michigan’s House of Representative continued their tour in Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor, touting a plan to stall the tremendous progress Michigan has made over the last two years and return Michigan to the failed Democrat policies that led to Michigan’s “Lost Decade.”
Michigan Republican Party Chairman Bobby Schostak said the following:
“Michigan’s economic well-being has surged under the leadership of Gov. Snyder and Republicans in the legislature. Almost every economic indicator you can find shows overwhelming progress. The economy is growing, incomes are up, unemployment is down and budgets have been balanced ahead of schedule. The contrast to the ‘Lost Decade’ of lost jobs, economic downturn and broken budgets couldn’t be more distinct.”
Since Governor Snyder and Republicans took the lead on Michigan’s comeback:
- Michigan’s economy is at a 10-year high.
- Michigan has the sixth fastest growing economy in the country
- Our state is currently experiencing the seventh best business tax climate
- Michigan has 177,700 new jobs created since the unemployment rate peaked in August 2009.
- Michigan has a $500 million Rainy Day Fund to protect our fiscal security.
- Michigan has had a balanced budget, months ahead of the deadline, for two straight years.
“Michigan Democrats have been trying to sell this snake oil for the past few weeks now, but Michigan citizens are not buying it. The people of Michigan deserve better than this traveling road show of false claims. The fact of the matter is we have come so far since our low point under the stranglehold of Democratic leadership in the ‘Lost Decade’ and we have much more to do. Democrats are simply beholden to their union special interests that have tried to block Michigan’s comeback at every turn. It’s time to for the Democrats to tell Michigan the truth—they want to take us backward.”