Today, Governor Gretchen Whitmer testified to the Congressional Energy and Commerce Committee on Michigan’s coronavirus response. Whitmer was joined by Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson and Colorado Governor Jared Polis. Whitmer used the hearing as yet another platform to bash the Trump Administration’s coronavirus response that started back in January before Whitmer herself took any action.
Here are the facts on Governor Whitmer’s Botched Coronavirus Response:
- Governor Whitmer failed to file an initial request for a disaster declaration for the state of Michigan with FEMA, lagging behind dozens of other states.
- Gretchen Whitmer deepened the panic of the already difficult coronavirus situation by falsely claiming the federal government was diverting supplies from Michigan.
- The Governor continues to complain that Michigan does not have enough PPE and testing supplies, despite passing on compliant swabs.
- Whitmer’s over 100 blanketed, and vague executive orders caused undue stress and confusion across the state.
- Governor Whitmer gave little to no guidance or details on her executive overreach leading to a car seat being banned, among other mishaps across the state.
- Michigan lagged behind in COVID-19 contact tracing because Whitmer and her administration appointed a known Democrat operative to a no-bid contract for the highly sensitive data project.
- Despite denying having any knowledge of how and why the contract was executed with the partisan firm, emails show Whitmer’s office gave the green light to put the Democrat company in charge.
- Whitmer and her administration allowed coronavirus to ravage nursing homes and extended care facilities.
- The Governor allowed the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) to place patients who tested positive for COVID-19 in facilities with negative patients and workers.
- According to CMS, Michigan ranks fifth in the nation for coronavirus deaths of nursing home patients
- Michigan is 1 of 3 states that continues to hold back data on the number of cases and death in nursing home facilities.
- In her quest to become Biden’s VP Choice – Whitmer took to national media over 50 times to bash Republicans, instead of working with the Michigan Legislature to work on a plan of reopening the state.
- Hit by fraud and disorganization, Whitmer’s Administration failed to properly prepare the state’s unemployment agency to serve Michiganders out of work due to her executive orders.
- Recently, Congressman Bill Huizenga sent a letter to Governor Whitmer asking her to address the discrepancies in the agency’s response to state employees versus employees of private businesses.
“Despite her partisan testimony before Capitol Hill today, Michiganders know the truth about Governor Whitmer’s actions. She has used this pandemic to raise her national profile at the expense of the people of our state who are suffering,” said Laura Cox, Michigan Republican Party Chairman. “We all want to ensure Michigan can arise from this crisis and that the recovery can begin, but Whitmer has proven she simply cannot handle these difficult situations.”