John James says, “Peters is so afraid of his elitist plan being discovered, he lied about it…Peters doesn’t seem to realize or doesn’t seem to care how much health care costs for everyone else.”
LANSING, Mich., October 29, 2020 – In case you missed it: As the U.S. Senate race closes, John James is on offense on healthcare, calling out Gary Peters for not understanding the unaffordable nature of the so-called “Affordable” Care Act.
James wrote in The Detroit News today that the ACA is unaffordable for many in Michigan, “But Sen. Gary Peters wouldn’t know that. Peters is part of an exclusive gold-plated, taxpayer funded plan. Peters is so afraid of his elitist plan being discovered, he lied about it to media, amended his financial disclosures and refuses to talk about his plan. Peters doesn’t seem to realize or doesn’t seem to care how much health care costs for everyone else.”
James notes that Michigan families are drowning in rising costs that no one can afford, including:
- Since the ACA’s creation in 2009, wages have gone up 26% while deductibles have soared 162%.
- Some families are paying nearly $40,000 annually in medical costs, while Michigan’s median income is just $75,703.
James knows what it’s like to deal with the ACA in the real world. He is an employer and provides health coverage to his employees. His family uses the same health insurance his employees do.
Gary Peters uses exclusive health insurance paid for by taxpayers, yet unavailable to taxpayers.
James also laid out his plan for improving the ACA and making it more affordable:
- “First, the plan needs to be patient-centered so doctors and patients make the decisions, not bureaucrats.”
- “Second, we need to keep protection for people with pre-existing conditions. This is something I have consistently said and we can do it. I will insist on legislation that includes these protections.”
- “Third, people cannot be afraid to go to their doctor. Michigan residents shouldn’t have to ration their care. There needs to be a greater focus on wellness and we should encourage doctor visits.
You can read more about John James’s proposals for improving America’s health care system here.